Login to complete an entry or to access judging materials
Sponsored by the American Society of Magazine Editors, the ASME NEXT Awards were established in 2016 to support the development of print and digital magazine media. The awards honor outstanding achievement by magazine journalists under the age of 30. Any full-time or freelance writer, photographer, editor, social media editor, designer or photo editor is eligible for nomination. Candidates must be nominated or endorsed by a member of ASME and must be employed by or associated with a magazine or website edited by an ASME member. Eligible candidates must be under the age of 30 on December 31, 2019. Five award winners are chosen based on their talent and skill as demonstrated by their work and on their potential to make significant contributions to magazine media. Award winners receive a medal bearing the likeness of “Walking Elephant,” the symbol of the National Magazine Awards, and will be honored at the annual presentation of the Ellie Awards on Thursday, March 12, 2020.
HOW TO ENTER — Submit the following at ellieawards.org:
- an application form, including a video statement by the candidate no longer than two minutes, preferably recorded on a mobile device, explaining why he or she is pursuing a career in magazine media
- a statement no longer than 400 words by the nominating editor explaining why the candidate deserves to win an ASME Next Award
- a portfolio of the candidate’s work, including no more than 10 print or digital examples
- examples may be of any length and from any time in the candidate's career
- each example must be accompanied by a statement no longer than 100 words describing the candidate's role in the creation of the work
- the candidate’s current resume
Portfolios that include work originally published in print reuire the submission of both print magazines and PDFs. Two copies of the print magazine containing the work should be shipped to Ellie Awards, Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, Pulitzer Hall, Room 104, 2950 Broadway, New York, NY 10027. Deliveries are accepted between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST. Magazines should be clearly labeled with the name of the candidate. PDFs should be uploaded to ellieawards.org. PDFs should be converted to a single file in correct page order before uploading. Spread pages should be shown together. Low-resolution files are preferable.
Portfolios containing digital content require the submission at ellieawards.org of web links or platform-specific instructions, including user names and passwords, for accessing tablet editions or smartphone apps.